Photos by Silke Stuckenbrock.
Australian environmentalist Paul Sharp operates “Shark in a Bus,” a museum-on-wheels in a 1957 MMT bus that features whale skulls, marine fossils, and vintage diving gear. His most prominent exhibition is a 16-foot great white shark called “Frankie” that Paul’s father killed in the 1970s. But Paul isn’t advocating shark hunting – he’s actually promoting conservation, especially to those who may not be environmentally minded.
When visitors step inside the museum, Paul talks to them about protecting sharks, plastic pollution, and other environmental and animal rights issues. By the time they leave, many have gained a greater respect for sharks and the marine environment.
Paul has often wondered if he should be on the frontlines of conservation, working with organisations like Sea Shepherd Conservation Society or Greenpeace. But Paul sticks with what he’s doing because he believes in the importance of preaching to the unconverted, and changing the hearts and minds of everyday people.
- A\J Editorial Board (19) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (184) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (87) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (216) Current Events
- EcoLogic (16) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (29) Food and Culture
- Green Living (36) Green Living
- Made in Canada (23) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (59) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (15) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (8) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (58) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (19) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (44) The Wild Side
- Think Global (21) Think Global
- Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018 (4) Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018
Popular on A\J
- @Climatepledgeco Hey hey we love that! Green is in the genes!! 😇👍🏼🌎🌲🌳🌴🌱🌿☘️ — 5 days 2 hours ago
- RT @DianaDYoon: #ClimateAction is profoundly urgent precisely because change is inevitably slow. 🌎 Cars, appliances, pipelines we p… https://t.co/uJQiwYxw2j — 5 days 2 hours ago
- RT @Climatepledgeco: A thoughtful look at what it means for Canadians to confront a slow emergency from the 'godfather' of Climate Pledg… https://t.co/cV6WZxfpnN — 5 days 8 hours ago