Deforestation for palm oil plantations is threatening the survival of orangutans – not to mention all the other creatures with whom they share the rainforests of Indonesia. Here are some links that the cartoonist used for inspiration and information in drawing this cartoon. Some of them include ways that you can help slow deforestation, such as avoiding products that use conflict palm oil.
Cartoons for A/J often arise from anger and frustration at environmental degradation and human stupidity. The challenge is to find a humorous way to get across very serious issues. Here is the article that inspired me to draw my initial draft of this cartoon, then to do more research.
For more information, read here about a campaign by SumOfUs against Cheetos maker Frito-Lay, a subsidiary of PepsiCo.
- A\J Editorial Board (19) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (185) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (87) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (216) Current Events
- EcoLogic (16) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (29) Food and Culture
- Green Living (36) Green Living
- Made in Canada (23) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (59) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (15) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (8) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (58) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (19) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (44) The Wild Side
- Think Global (21) Think Global
- Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018 (4) Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018
Popular on A\J
- RT @m2bowman: When you're out walking/cycling, do you acknowledge passersby? If so, how? A nod, a wave, a smile, or an actual 'he… https://t.co/ppC1OZHCyP — 2 hours 24 min ago
- Any guess on what Canada's #wildnerness map looks like? #carbonfootprint #yourimpacts https://t.co/XTSRBaUEmC — 4 hours 3 min ago
- RT @AlienorR2: We really blocked Bay Street, the centre of the financial district!! 🌍💚 Picture by Richard Mohammed… https://t.co/6Pvyf1UR6D — 1 day 14 hours ago