We're partnering with the City of Kitchener for Bike Month to bring you the experiences of the city's Bike2Work Challenge participants as they learn the ins and outs of cycling to work. Here's a sampling of what they've shared so far.
- What a difference having a good bike makes – my old one was a much heavier bike, gave a bumpier ride and made for more work going uphill.
- I was skeptical that the WSD [women's specific design] seat would actually make a difference – I have found it noticeably more comfortable than seats I've had in the past. Commuting by bike is much more attractive when I'm comfortable!
- The panniers are fantastic and take the strain of a backpack off my neck and shoulders. The fact that they are surprisingly roomy and waterproof to boot is an added bonus!
- Each street has a different feel and it changes through the day. I tried working "regular" hours (9-5:30) for a week instead of my early 7-3:30 and found the traffic much heavier both ways. Not only that, but people are less courteous at rush hour. The only nice thing is there is also a lot more bike traffic and pedestrians.
- Wet shoes with socks are no fun. When it pours you get soaked to the bone and your pedalling gets all squishy. Yuck.
- Biking feels good. It wakes you up in the morning, you get to see actual people outside (not just cars), and takes about the same amount of time as the bus – minus the worry about catching the bus on time!
- Graphs [of your time and speed] are fun and motivating. I find that I try to beat records of the previous day.
Follow along with the other participants have fared so far on the Bike2Work 2013 blog.
- A\J Editorial Board (19) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (185) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (87) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (216) Current Events
- EcoLogic (16) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (29) Food and Culture
- Green Living (36) Green Living
- Made in Canada (23) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (59) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (15) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (8) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (58) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (19) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (44) The Wild Side
- Think Global (21) Think Global
- Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018 (4) Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018
Popular on A\J
- RT @AlienorR2: We really blocked Bay Street, the centre of the financial district!! 🌍💚 Picture by Richard Mohammed… https://t.co/6Pvyf1UR6D — 14 hours 41 sec ago
- What’re you up to at 12:30pm? Are you close to @npstoronto? The shakers and movers of the world are invited to advo… https://t.co/KiEChKaMv5 — 1 day 15 hours ago
- RT @PowerShiftWR: #Waterloo #uwaterloo do you have an interest in #SDG8 Decent Work and Economic Growth? Learn more on Thursday May 2… https://t.co/H0KwJ1uiZX — 2 days 10 hours ago