Susan Watson remembers being arrested at Clayoquot Sound in British Columbia in 1993. Up until then, she had considered herself a bit of a goody-two-shoes, but once she crossed that line and sat on the road to protest the logging of the ancient rainforest with 850 others, she lost her fear. She was charged with criminal contempt of court for publicly ignoring the court injunction against protesting the logging. And she has no regrets.
With the Kinder Morgan protests, Watson recognizes the same feeling of people-powered advocacy and frustration she experienced over twenty years ago. Today she continues to advocate with her son, Alec.
"The government has still not followed through on its obligations to fund health care for Indigenous children on an equal footing with every other Canadian child, but we have 4.5 billion dollars to spend on a pipeline?" says Watson.
The Lead Now advocacy group has organized multiple "snap actions" from Newfoundland to British Columbia, where Canadians are gathering to let the Trudeau government know they think the Kinder Morgan bailout is a waste of taxpayer billions. See what else is happening in your area: https://www.leadnow.ca/stop-km-buyout/
In the meantime, here are a few photos from our local gathering in Guelph.
Other events taking place across Canada. Find more information here: https://www.leadnow.ca/stop-km-buyout/
- A\J Editorial Board (19) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (185) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (87) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (216) Current Events
- EcoLogic (16) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (29) Food and Culture
- Green Living (36) Green Living
- Made in Canada (23) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (59) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (15) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (8) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (58) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (19) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (44) The Wild Side
- Think Global (21) Think Global
- Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018 (4) Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018
Popular on A\J
- In response to the #SummerStudentTakeover article "Climate Activism and Corporate Sustainability in a Contemporary… https://t.co/ffx7roRNjw — 1 week 3 days ago
- In A\J's latest article, Jessica Burman gives us 10 reasons why @HillsideFest is the kind of music festival you won… https://t.co/f9pzSqvYDH — 3 weeks 6 days ago
- Our new youth-driven platform; ENV Media will officially launch today with the website going live at 10:00pm ET. Be… https://t.co/tJVyFJ8cxr — 4 weeks 2 days ago