Students from the Eco Club at Sir John A. Macdonald Secondary School (Waterloo, ON) urge the federal goverment to #fixCEPA
Hi, I am Paige Amos and I started the Eco Club at my high school, Sir John A Macdonald Secondary School in Waterloo, ON. Our Eco Club is made up of a bunch of students who want to raise awareness about environmental issues and, importantly, how they can be solved. Our goal is to make a positive difference in our school and our community.
We are a young club. So far we have taken action to promote the importance of pollinator-friendly plants in nature (including planting them at our school) and have hosted a Blue Dot presentation for our school.
Through the Blue Dot presentation we learned that Canada lags behind many other countries when it comes to our environmental protections from toxins. So, our Eco Club is urging the Canadian government to update (and, in doing so, help to fix) the Canadian Environmental Protection Act 1999 (CEPA 1999).
A lot has changed since 1999. And the government reviewed CEPA last year. There were 87 recommendations to strengthen and modernize it in the resulting report Healthy Environment, Healthy Canadians, Healthy Economy: Strengthening the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999.
Our Eco Club wanted to put our wishes on this banner for clean air, the fundamental human right to a healthy environment and a clean Canada for generations to come. We are posting this photo to let people know we also want to #fixCEPA. It is exciting that in just 3 weeks over 10,000 Canadians signed a parliamentary e-petition to say so too.
We hope that you too will show your support by signing the e-petition and taking actions in your own school and communities to ensure a cleaner, greener future for our generation and generations to come. We can all make a difference.
- A\J Editorial Board (19) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (185) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (87) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (216) Current Events
- EcoLogic (16) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (29) Food and Culture
- Green Living (36) Green Living
- Made in Canada (23) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (59) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (15) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (8) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (58) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (19) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (44) The Wild Side
- Think Global (21) Think Global
- Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018 (4) Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018
Popular on A\J
- "Youth led climate strikes have created a spark around the globe." Check out A/J's newest article, where Elenore Br… https://t.co/QQWY3L7zxI — 1 day 1 min ago
- Today @AlternativesJ is holding a discussion about our unique issue We, the North. Drop by #Project220 at 3-5pm to… https://t.co/59ZNRpDzvn — 2 weeks 2 hours ago
- In response to the #SummerStudentTakeover article "Climate Activism and Corporate Sustainability in a Contemporary… https://t.co/ffx7roRNjw — 5 weeks 6 days ago