EACH WEEK, A\J staffers share our favourite facts & findings from whatever books, articles, documentaries, podcasts and other media we've been consuming. Here’s what we’ve learned this week!
On May 16th, Ecuador plans to break the World Record for tree planting in a historic reforestation blitz.
Source: The Independent \ Found by nik
People who commute on foot or by bicycle are happier, sleep better and are better able to deal with problems than those who drive to work.
Source: Fast Company \ Laura
Leaving electronic devices – like computers – on all the time consumes an average of 164 watts per home, according to a new report from the National Resource Defense Council. That’s the equivalent of brewing 234 cups of coffee every day for a year, and a really easy way to cut your energy consumption.
Source: Treehugger \ Found by Laura
A Dutch solar bike path pilot project is outperforming expectations. The 70-metre-long SolaRoad has generated enough power for a single-person household for one year in just six months. Roads are next.
Source: CBC \ Found by David
Sri Lanka has become the first nation in the world to comprehensively protect all of its mangrove forests.
Source: BBC \ Rachel
An elephant saved a human baby’s life after tearing a house down in conflict over blocked migration route.
Source: Times of India \ Found by nik
NEW STUDY: Scientists discover that the Earth is endangered by a new strain of fact-resistant humans.
Source: The New Yorker \ Found by nik
The award-winning Epuron renewables commercial still feels fresh and utterly charming after 8 years.
Source: YouTube \ Found by nik
Genital warfare: Many species of hawkmoth have evolved a handy way of jamming bat sonar.
Source: Futurity.org \ Found by nik
- A\J Editorial Board (19) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (174) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (87) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (215) Current Events
- EcoLogic (16) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (29) Food and Culture
- Green Living (36) Green Living
- Made in Canada (23) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (59) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (15) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (8) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (58) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (19) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (44) The Wild Side
- Think Global (18) Think Global
- Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018 (4) Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018
Popular on A\J
- The latest in our eight-part series sees @GlasscoFellows Melaina Sheldon explore a pilot project to improve relatio… https://t.co/1GMad2QR75 — 5 hours 26 min ago
- @lorinjuin Hi there. Our apologies - no excuse for not getting in touch, but thank you for your support and subscri… https://t.co/A5wyx0whRD — 2 days 10 hours ago
- @voxdotcom says it best: "Climate science is not a 'both sides' issue," Ambassador Craft. https://t.co/XU0r4QyUOT https://t.co/rTijX9JP17 — 3 days 9 hours ago