Concerned Citizens of Brant invite the public to attend 'CELEBRATE OUR WATERS' fundraiser in support of the Paris Pit appeal
On Saturday, November 18th, from 2-5PM, the group Concerned Citizens of Brant (CCOB), with the support of renowned toxocologist Dr. Poh Gek Forkert, will be hosting a book launch/family event/fundraiser to help the group appeal an Environmental Review Tribunal (ERT) ruling against the group's efforts. Click here to learn more and/or to help with a donation.
Dr. Forkert will be promoting her new book 'Fighting Dirty: How a Small Community Took on Big Trash', which encapuslates the experiences of how one small group of farmers, residents and Indigenous people successfully fought one of the world's largest waste disposal companies. Dr. Forkert is a research scientist and toxicologist who has published more than eighty papers (and book chapters) on the metabolism of toxic chemicals.
Like the CCOB's Paris Pit battle, Fighting Dirty is a David-vs-Goliath story. David Suzuki shared that "Fighting Dirty is an inspiring read for all activists battling against the money and power of corporations. It shows that when a small group of determined, commited citizens don't give up, leaders and unexpected opportunities will emerge. When the cause is just, good people can win."
"When the cause is just, good people can win." - David Suzuki
While many A\J readers may be familiar with the legal machinations involved in the fight against the Melancton 'Mega Quarry', this battle to protect a community's groundwater has been much less publicized, which is why the organizers of the CELEBRATE OUR WATERS event are hoping to solicit support from a broad coalition of local and regional citizens and activists to continue their work to protect their lands and their water.
If you would like to attend this event or learn more, please contact Anne Ehrlich, event spokesperson, at 519-442-2399.
- A\J Editorial Board (19) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (174) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (87) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (216) Current Events
- EcoLogic (16) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (29) Food and Culture
- Green Living (36) Green Living
- Made in Canada (23) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (59) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (15) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (8) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (58) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (19) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (44) The Wild Side
- Think Global (21) Think Global
- Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018 (4) Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018
- Happy new year from Alternatives! Didn't get a chance to make a one-time gift in 2018 to support our mission of amp… https://t.co/Z2Jj0Dk3sf — 2 weeks 2 days ago
- Today is the last day in 2018 you can make a contribution to A\J, supporting the environmental movement in Canada A… https://t.co/5E5zBFqqhS — 2 weeks 5 days ago
- Don't forget that year-end contributions to Alternatives will help us continue to be an independently publishing vo… https://t.co/LuYk3QzzcU — 2 weeks 5 days ago