How many plastic water bottles does it take to create a back-to-school kit? According to R3VOLVED, the magic number is 7.25. This Toronto-based company specializes in school, home and office supplies made from recycled material. R3VOLVED founders Jaquelyn Cyr and Suzanne Dyment are making it their mission to inspire green action by ensuring that their recycled products are affordable and easily accessible to consumers.
Plastic beverage bottles are estimated to take 450-1000 years to biodegrade — and that's only when they are in direct contact with the sun, a difficult feat for the 18,834,000,000 plastic beverage bottles that lay dormant under landfills and on ocean floors that are added each year. When the plastic eventually begins to biodegrade, they leach out chemicals that are harmful to humans and the 690 marine species that encounter and consume plastic debris.
Recognizing the enormous problems associated with plastic pollution, R3VOLVED plans to divert more than 350,000 plastic bottles from ending up in landfills, oceans and incinerators during the current back-to-school season.
R3VOLVED is not limited to recycled plastic; they also manufacture recycled rubber, metal and paper to create their products that are branded with non-toxic vegetable ink and packaged using recycled paper. The line of products includes rulers, erasers, scissors, sharpeners, pens, markers, highlighters and pencil cases.
R3VOLVED challenges consumers to close the loop when recycling by purchasing recycled goods, and demanding companies to manufacture goods using recycled materials. As quoted on the R3VOLVED website, actor and activist Ed Begley Jr. says, “If you’re not buying recycled products, you’re not really recycling”.
- A\J Editorial Board (19) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (185) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (87) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (216) Current Events
- EcoLogic (16) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (29) Food and Culture
- Green Living (36) Green Living
- Made in Canada (23) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (59) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (15) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (8) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (58) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (19) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (44) The Wild Side
- Think Global (21) Think Global
- Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018 (4) Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018
Popular on A\J
- RT @MediaENV: #InternationalVolunteerDay may have been yesterday, but that doesn't mean we still couldn't use some help! Do you… https://t.co/dU9JdNipXO — 2 days 4 hours ago
- Do you want to turn your passion into action? A\J and @MediaENV are looking for volunteers! Volunteers make a huge… https://t.co/HIp1KVGzks — 2 days 5 hours ago
- Have questions about #COP25? A\J has a correspondent at the Conference right now. Send us your questions by respond… https://t.co/XJDzkX11oq — 3 days 23 hours ago