Last year was a pivotal year for the environment, marking change and action for the environmental movement through the Paris Agreement at COP21, the end of the Keystone XL pipeline and Pope Francis’ encyclical on the environment. While it was a year to celebrate, it was also a year that raised environmental concerns. NASA concluded that it was the hottest year on record, with human influence and activity as the main driver for global rising temperatures.
The upcoming years will test and challenge the environmental victories of 2015. It’s time to start cultivating voices, creating conversations and empowering youth to speak up for the environment. We are the future leaders, decision-makers and problem solvers for the next generation. The world’s biggest environmental challenges will be placed on our shoulders and we need to be informed.
Five years ago, the Green Student was created with the intent of providing environment students a forum to share their writing, campaigns and events. As environmental challenges become more prominent, we’ve revitalized the Green Student to extend opportunities and platforms to engage and empower students. Through the Green Student, we will continue to encourage student action and involvement, using student writing to share new environmental research, campaigns, events, and ways to connect with communities.
With the continued support of Alternatives Journal, the Green Student is going bigger and extending our reach, getting various perspectives of the environment from all students. Environment is a multi-faceted issue, and students from all over the world in every academic discipline need to be part of the conversation.
As we settle in to our old home, we’re looking for new writers and volunteers! We’re inviting proposals on any topic related to the environment. If you would like to contribute to the Green Student, we are accepting submissions, for short, well-researched and thought-provoking content for our website. This includes (but is not exclusive to), reports, reviews, short essays, interviews, news coverage and analysis, photos, and illustration.
Contribute to the Green Student by filling out the submission form.
If you’re interested but aren’t sure what to write about, send us an email with your interests and we’ll be happy to help you narrow down a potential topic.
- A\J Editorial Board (19) A\J Editorial Board
- A\J Special Delivery (185) A\J Special Delivery
- Backstage at A\J (87) Backstage at A\J
- Current Events (216) Current Events
- EcoLogic (16) EcoLogic
- Food and Culture (29) Food and Culture
- Green Living (36) Green Living
- Made in Canada (23) Made in Canada
- Renewable Energy (59) Renewable Energy
- Shades of Green (15) Shades of Green
- Summer Reading Series (8) Summer Reading Series
- Sustainable A\J (58) Sustainable A\J
- The Green Student (19) The Green Student
- The Mouthful (14) The Mouthful
- The Wild Side (44) The Wild Side
- Think Global (21) Think Global
- Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018 (4) Turtle Island Solidarity Journey 2018
Popular on A\J
- In response to the #SummerStudentTakeover article "Climate Activism and Corporate Sustainability in a Contemporary… https://t.co/ffx7roRNjw — 6 days 21 hours ago
- In A\J's latest article, Jessica Burman gives us 10 reasons why @HillsideFest is the kind of music festival you won… https://t.co/f9pzSqvYDH — 3 weeks 2 days ago
- Our new youth-driven platform; ENV Media will officially launch today with the website going live at 10:00pm ET. Be… https://t.co/tJVyFJ8cxr — 3 weeks 6 days ago