The Ultimate Health Issue with guest editor Gideon Forman (Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment) explores environmental issues with significant health impacts – toxics, pesticides, local food, resource extraction – that are poised to be key issues in this election year. The issue also captures the momentum of increasing efforts – and successes – by mainstream health organizations and medical professionals to protect the health of their patients by taking political action on environmental issues.
Some of the highlights:
- David Colby and John O’Connor’s personal accounts of backlash after speaking out against the Alberta tar sands and in defence of wind power.
- The pros and cons of nuclear power in relation to human health.
- A look at the tactics being used in the fight against neonicotinoid pesticides and the battle to save Ontario's pollinators.
- The role of green space in mitigating mental health concerns.
- An examination of prominent paleodisasters in Western Canada and the importance of preparing for them, should history repeat itself.
In this issue:
- RT @wewap: Re-Evaluating Court options for Yukon First Nations https://t.co/I2r1yuVUHo by @AlternativesJ — 22 hours 41 min ago
- @cdgoodart How very colourful and bright!!! Love this new addition to our environment ;) 🌈🌈🌈 — 2 days 4 hours ago
- A major #policy concern in the North surrounds the over incarceration of #Indigenous people. Take a gander at today… https://t.co/JROhNJakMW — 2 days 6 hours ago